CALL FOR ARTISTS 2017 Redmond Arts Festival Featured Artist: Community Art Project Leader
Application Deadline: Tuesday, April 18th, 2017 at 5pm.
VALA Eastside is seeking an artist or artist team to serve as “Featured Artist” of the 2017 Redmond Arts Festival and produce an all ages community art project on site at the festival at Redmond Town Center from July 7th– 9th, 2017.
The Redmond Arts Festival is a three-day visual arts festival that includes 70 artist booths, art installation at the VALA Art Center, entertainment, food, beer garden and community art project. Average participation for the featured artist project is about 1,000 people. The Featured Artist will have a double sized booth space outdoors and volunteers to help lead an interactive community art project. Redmond Town Center is home to the VALA Art Center and there may be opportunity to install a finished piece of work at the Art Center for summer months.
Artists may apply as a single visual artist or a pair/group of visual or interdisciplinary artists. VALA welcomes artists across a number of different disciplines to apply as a team and lead a community art project that incorporates not just visual art but other art forms as well. Examples of other art forms include, but are not limited to, dance, music, poetry, creative writing, & performance arts.
A stipend of $2,000 will be paid to the artist/artist team to cover all planning, materials and implementation of the project.
Redmond is a community rich in diversity. The Community Art Project is expected to have participation of around 800 people of various backgrounds over the course of the weekend. Participants are typically youth between the ages of 5-10 who are attending the festival with their families. Any project will need to allow for youth participation.
Past Featured Artist Projects
Past projects have incorporated the ideas of celebrating diversity, identity, community and other positive and unifying concepts. These concepts were successfully translated into projects, which allowed for community participation to create both permanent and temporary artworks. Past Featured Artists have included Suzanne Tidwell, JK Calladine, Anna Macrae, Flora Ramirez-Bustamante, Trung Pham and Meghan Yates.
Meghan Yates, “Hope: Red Thread Project” Community Art Project, 2016
- It is expected that the artist interact directly with community members giving them the opportunity to make art.
- Although it is not an expectation that a piece of permanent or long lasting artwork be created from the project, it is desirable that a piece of art be produced collaboratively by the hands of the community. This art can be temporary or permanent and can be made from any medium (including mediums outside visual arts).
- The Featured Artist will be expected to be the on-site lead for all three days of the festival including setting up and tearing down their project and leading a group of volunteers.
- Artist will assist in promoting their role as Featured Artist.
- Artist will need to complete and pass a Washington State Patrol Background Check.
- Although this is an opportunity for the Featured Artist to promote themselves as an artist, there will not be opportunity to set up a booth display of their artworks for sale within the Community Art Booth.
- Applying artists should be an established artist and have a strong background and interest in producing collaborative and interactive community art projects. Selected artists will serve as an extension of VALA Eastside and help serve its mission of “Connecting Artists to Artists, Artists to the Community and the Community to Art.”
What is VALA Eastside?
VALA Eastside is a 501c3 non-profit community arts organization created to fill a need in the community for art venues and opportunities for local artists. The mission of VALA is connecting artists to artists, artists to the community and the community to art. The mission is accomplished in many ways including public art installations, residency programs, events, and workshops at the VALA Art Center. The VALA Art Center is located at 7330 164th Ave NE in Redmond Town Center and is the hub for most of VALA’s art programs. VALA has been co-producing the Redmond Arts Festival with Redmond Town Center since 2012.
Tue. April 18th, 5pm Application Deadline
Late April Invitations to submit a formal project proposal
Mid-Late May Project proposal presentations
Late May Festival Artist Notified of acceptance
Redmond Arts Festival Dates Fri. July 7th, 12pm-8pm; Sat. July 8th, 12pm-8pm; Sun. July 9th 12pm-7pm
The featured artist(s) will be selected through a two step application process. Accepted applicants will be invited to develop a project proposal to present to a small panel of VALA staff in Mid-Late May . Festival Artist will be selected by Late May.
Step One: Application
Please email the following to Marianne Johnson, VALA Project Manager by Tuesday, April 18th, by 5pm. MJOHNSON@VALAEASTSIDE.ORG
Put VALA Featured Artist – “YOUR NAME(S)” in the subject line
- Resume/C.V. for each artist. (be sure it includes contact info address, phone, email)
- Artist statement(s) for each artist.
- 1 page letter of intent describing why you would be a good fit as Redmond Arts Festival Featured Artist. You may share “ideas or concepts” that you wish to explore with community art project, but Do NOT submit details of your proposed project. This letter of intent is about helping us get to know you.
- Three references.
- 3-5 digital images of your current work including title, year produced, materials, and dimensions. Images should be in .jpg format and sized small enough to be able to be emailed.
**IMPORTANT NOTE** If you do not receive a reply email saying your application has been received, then we have not received your application.
Step Two: Project Proposal
Artists selected from the application process will be given 2 weeks to put together a formal proposal detailing your community art project, including a budget and plan for implementation. A 30-minute presentation date and time will be scheduled for you to present your proposal to a panel of VALA staff.
Contact Marianne Johnson, VALA Project Manager at email@example.com