UPDATED: CALL FOR ARTISTS – Game On!
UPDATED: CALL FOR ARTISTS – Application Deadline extended to March 27, 2017
Game On! The Art of Game Design
No application fee or artist fee
VALA Eastside is seeking artwork for the exhibition Game On! The Art of Game Design that will present a dynamic behind the scenes look at the artwork and visual design process used during the creation of video games, from first concept sketches to final production. This is a regional show, representing artists or teams who are working in the Pacific Northwest – for this exhibition the definition of this area includes Oregon, Washington and British Columbia. Artists of every background, race, gender, ethnic heritage and ability-level are strongly encouraged to apply. We aim to represent diversity in the artwork by presenting a balance of traditional and non-traditional approaches to narratives, design and game play including indie game design. Artwork and assets from the different phases of game design, development and production will be accepted in a variety of formats, including concept sketches, physical and digital models, environment paintings, storyboards, character designs, as well as highlights of final games, both video-captured and playable. Artwork will be presented framed on walls, projected on screens and presented on a variety of digital media types and viewing devices.
The artwork we are seeking for Game On! will represent one or more of the following:
- demonstrate the intersection of art and technology in the game industry
- represent game design through a broad spectrum of artwork in various mediums and formats
- demonstrate current and near-future technology platforms
- showcase alternative approaches to game design
- feature artwork/assets from games that are already released
- feature artwork/assets from games that are not yet released or widely known
As part of the exhibition experience, Game On! will display game artwork and visual assets in various mediums and on a variety of platforms: we are open to tabletop, PC and mobile, virtual reality and mixed/augmented reality as applicable.
What is VALA Eastside?
VALA Eastside is a 501c3 non-profit community arts organization that supports local artists. Our mission “Connecting artists to artists, artists to the public and the public to art,”is accomplished in many ways including public art installations, residency programs, events, classes and workshops at the VALA Art Center. The VALA Art Center is located at 7525 166th Ave NE, Ste D140 in Redmond Town Center, Redmond, WA, and is the hub for most of VALA’s art programs. VALA has numerous partnerships with local city, business and art organizations including SAM, 4Culture, DigiPen, and City of Redmond. In addition to diverse exhibitions, and programming, VALA co-produces the Redmond Arts Festival with Redmond Town Center, featuring over 70 local artists.
Mon. March 27, 5pm NEW Application Deadline
March 24-March 28 Jury Review and Selection
March 31 Accepted artists contacted
April 28th Final Artwork Submission
June 1st Exhibition Opening
July 30th Exhibition closes
Please email the following to email@example.com byMonday, March 27, by 5pm.
Put GAME ON! – “YOUR NAME(S)” in the subject line
- Resume/C.V. (be sure to include contact info address, phone, email) AND website links and your location in the Pacific Northwest – teams who have at least one member anchored in the Pacific Northwest can apply
- If you are submitting as a team, provide resume/website for primary team contact (you may include resumes/weblinks for all team members as additional information)
- Write a short paragraph summary describing the basic idea behind your game/and or inspiration for your artwork. Let us know if you are drawing from your own personal background or experiences and how these unique perspectives informed your artwork or game design
- 3-5 digital images of the artwork you would like to include in the show. Images should be in .jpg format and sized small enough to be able to be emailed.
- In the email, for each artwork submitted please provide:
Artwork title or description, year produced – include Phase of Design, Development or Production
Name of project or game
Material and dimensions
- For Digital Artwork/assets: please list devices and requirements for displaying/viewing
**IMPORTANT NOTE** If you do not receive a reply email saying your application has been received, then we have not received your application.
QUESTIONS? Contact Dawn Laurant, Art Programs Director at firstname.lastname@example.org